After almost one week of being locked out of the Mon Repos Primary School’s premises, parents can now enter to drop off their children.This is according to the Education Ministry, which on Monday revealed that an intervention was made which would now permit parents to enter the school under certain conditions.A group of parents gathered outside the Mon Repos Primary School last TuesdayThe Ministry in a statement said the parents were staying in the school’s compound during instructional periods which was not allowed.An agreement was, however, recently made by the school’s administration with the Ministry which will allow parents to bring their children into the school as per normal, but when the bell rings, “those parents who are still within the confines of the school awaiting the dismissal time should be encouraged to go home and return at dismissal time for the children,” the Ministry informed.An emergency Parent-Teacher Association (PTA) meeting was scheduled to discuss these matters.The Ministry assured that normalcy has been restored, and the situation would continue to be monitored closely to ensure that all stakeholders were on-board and efforts are made to strengthen the school-community relationship.Parents of pupils who attend the Mon Repos Primary School on the East Coast of Demerara last Tuesday protested the administration’s recent move to ban them from entering the school to visit their children since a laptop went missing.According to the upset parents, a meeting was held with them last Monday when it was announced that they would no longer be able to visit the children during the day or even enter the school to pick them up or drop them off as a result.The fuming parents complained that this drastic step would serve as a major hindrance since many of their children, especially those in Grade One, depend on their parents to use the washroom and even eat.The parents said that they would have even been willing to use a visitor’s or parent’s badge if the school provided one, just so they could be with their children.Earlier in January, the Ministry was forced to intervene in a similar matter at the Diamond Primary School on the East Bank of Demerara.Guyana Times understands that the ban on parents was imposed after a teacher reported that she had lost her laptop as well.After the report was published by this newspaper, an intervention was done by the Ministry which led to the parents being allowed to enter the premises again.
APTN National NewsHow long have I known you, Oh Canada? A hundred years? Yes, a hundred years. And many, many seelanum more. And today, when you celebrate your hundred years, Oh Canada, I am sad for all the Indian people throughout the land.For I have known you when your forests were mine; when they gave me my meat and my clothing. I have known you in your streams and rivers where your fish flashed and danced in the sun, where the waters said ‘come, come and eat of my abundance.’ I have known you in the freedom of the winds. And my spirit, like the winds, once roamed your good lands.But in the long hundred years since the white man came, I have seen my freedom disappear like the salmon going mysteriously out to sea. The white man’s strange customs, which I could not understand, pressed down upon me until I could no longer breathe.When I fought to protect my land and my home, I was called a savage. When I neither understood nor welcomed his way of life, I was called lazy. When I tried to rule my people, I was stripped of my authority.My nation was ignored in your history textbooks _ they were little more important in the history of Canada than the buffalo that ranged the plains. I was ridiculed in your plays and motion pictures, and when I drank your fire-water, I got drunk _ very, very drunk. And I forgot.Oh Canada, how can I celebrate with you this centenary, this hundred years? Shall I thank you for the reserves that are left to me of my beautiful forests? For the canned fish of my rivers? For the loss of my pride and authority, even among my own people? For the lack of my will to fight back? No! I must forget what’s past and gone.Oh God in heaven! Give me back the courage of the olden chiefs. Let me wrestle with my surroundings. Let me again, as in the days of old, dominate my environment. Let me humbly accept this new culture and through it rise up and go on.Oh God! Like the thunderbird of old I shall rise again out of the sea; I shall grab the instruments of the white man’s success _ his education, his skills, and with these new tools I shall build my race into the proudest segment of your society. Before I follow the great chiefs who have gone before us, Oh Canada, I shall see these things come to pass.I shall see our young braves and our chiefs sitting in the houses of law and government, ruling and being ruled by the knowledge and freedoms of our great land. So shall we shatter the barriers of our isolation. So shall the next hundred years be the greatest in the proud history of our tribes and nations.
Time Out Group has named Christine Petersen CEO of its business division Time Out Digital. She has led global growth strategies for digital travel brands such as TripAdvisor, where she was most recently CMO and president of TripAdvisor for Business. Here are the rest of this week’s people on the move… Edward Enninful has been named editor-in-chief of British Vogue. The move has been praised throughout fashion and magazine media for the historic significance of naming the first non-white man to edit a mainstream women’s fashion magazine. Enninful, who succeeds Alexandra Shulman, has served as creative and fashion director at W since 2011. Bustle has named Gabrielle Prescod senior fashion market editor. Before joining the brand, she was market editor at Interview. This is the first market hire for the brand. “I couldn’t think of anyone better to lead this business division,” Julio Bruno, CEO of Time Out Group, said in a statement. “Christine will be key in driving our e-commerce strategy as we increasingly transact with our large global audience.” Petersen was appointed a non-executive director of the Board of Time Out Group in February of last year, and will continue to serve in that role as she begins as CEO. Longtime journalist Walt Mossberg has announced his retirement with a note to his staff at Recode and The Verge. The note begins: “It was a June day when I began my career as a national journalist, I stepped into the Detroit Bureau of The Wall Street Journal and started on what would be a long, varied, rewarding career. I was 23-years-old, and the year was 1970. That’s not a typo.” He’s set to retire in June, after the Code Conference, which he co-founded.