Evan Mobley, No. 1 prospect in Class of 2020, commits to USC

first_img Five-star 2020 prospect to skip college for 12-month NBA prep program Evan Mobley, the No. 1 prospect in the Class of 2020, said Monday that he has committed to USC, according to 247Sports’ Composite Rankings.His decision hardly comes as a surprise. Mobley’s father, Eric, is a Trojans assistant and his older brother, Isaiah, will be a true freshman this season for coach Andy Enfield. Per 247Sports’ evaluation, Mobley “(h)as all the qualities of a big-time post prospect. Length, athleticism, mobility, skill and basketball IQ are all in abundance. Finishes with touch and has nice footwork in the post. … Conscientious defender. Expected to be a high (2020) lottery pick and possible No. 1 overall pick in draft.Mobley, who will be a senior at Rancho Christian High School in Temecula, California, averaged 19.2 points, 10.4 rebounds and 4.7 blocks last season en route to winning Gatorade Player of the Year honors for California.He was part of gold-medal-winning teams with USA Basketball at the 2018 FIBA U17 World Cup last summer and the U19 World Cup earlier this summer in Greece. “It will be great to play with (Isaiah); we have really good chemistry together,” Evan Mobley said. “If he has a chance to go to the NBA, that would be great too. He has been a big influence on me both on and off the court. Being older, he has always helped me in the classroom and on the court.”A 6-11, 200-pound center, Mobley is the first commitment for USC in the 2020 class, but he is Enfield’s third five-star prospect in the past two recruiting classes, following his brother and Onyeka Okongwu.center_img “I want to get it out of the way before I start my senior year. And I know where I want to go,” Mobley told ESPN. “As a freshman and sophomore, I wasn’t sure exactly where I was going to go. I was looking for the best fit. But after my junior season, I know that being at USC is the right fit for me.”Breaking: No. 1 2020 recruit @evan_mobley7 tells @PaulBiancardi that he will attend USC.He will join his father Eric, an assistant coach, and his brother Isaiah, a freshman, with the Trojans. pic.twitter.com/OHd2yhfuBb— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) August 5, 2019Isaiah Mobley, also a five-star prospect, committed to USC two months after his father, who coached the Compton Magic grassroots program for several years, was hired in March 2018. Related News Big 12/SEC Challenge 2020 tipoff times: UK at Texas Tech, Tennessee at KU top Jan. 25 slatelast_img read more

Continue reading


Undefeated Clairton cruises past Sto-Rox to win fifth straight WPIAL Class A title

first_imgMuch like the Chinese economy, Clairton victories continues to grow and the undefeated Bears are taking the high school football world by storm. Clairton (13-0) broke a state record with its 60th consecutive victory, the current longest winning streak in the country, as the Bears won their fifth consecutive WPIAL title with a 58-21 victory over Sto Rox in the Class A championship game at Heinz Field on Nov. 23.Almost losing the first game of the season to Chartiers-Houston was the best thing that could have happened to Clairton. As strange as that sounds, that 22-20 narrow victory was an inspiration.Much of the Bears’ success can be attributed to the performance of Tyler Boyd. A senior, Boyd has rushed for over 2,000 yards and scored over 40 touchdowns. Boyd was held to minus-9 rushing yards in the first half, but ripped the Vikings for 145 rushing yards in the third quarter, including a 77-yard touchdown run.The Bears began the game over confident and flat and trailed after the first quarter for the first time all season.Sto-Rox junior quarterback Lenny Williams, among the WPIAL’s top 10 in career passing with over 5,000 yards, threw a 18-yard touchdown pass to Elisa Bonner to give the Vikings a 7-6 lead.The Bears dominated the second half with over 500 yards and 58 points—the second most points in a championship game history. Only the great Terrelle Pryor and Jeannette’s 61 in 2007 against Beaver Falls were more.While Boyd and the orange and black were rolling offensively, they were just as dominant on the opposite side of the ball. Defensive Coordinator Wayne Wade’s unit was flying all over the field throughout the course of the game.“I got to give credit to Sto-Rox’s Brendan Blair and Lenny Williams,” said Terrish Webb, Clairton receiver and a Kent State recruit. “They are two great players and only juniors.” “BEAR TRAP”—Clairton’s Israel Melvin (55) and Robert Boatright (9) close in on Sto-Rox quarterback Lenny Williams as he throws a pass. (Courier Photos/William McBride) last_img read more

Continue reading


General surgeries on pause in Fort St. John until August

first_imgThe hospital will also have more time for gynecological services, and dentists who perform services in the operating room, Dyck said.However, any one with emergency or general surgery needs will be be sent to other hospitals in the region, such as Dawson Creek, Prince George, or even Grande Prairie.“We work very closely with the other hospitals in the area,” Dyck said.“It always depends on the patient’s level of acuity. We’ll work with the other hospitals available to make sure that the services are available as appropriate.”Advertisement Fort St. John was left with only one general surgeon earlier this year after Dr. Jan Klompje left for what officials say were family reasons.Northern Health is currently recruiting for both a permanent and locum general surgeon. Fort St. John will be without a general surgeon for the month of July.Dr. Francois Coetzer began a six-week holiday beginning Canada Day and is expected to return August 11.Northern Health says it was unable to recruit a locum surgeon to cover the operating room at the Fort St. John Hospital, but adds that it will have a pair of visiting specialists in for the month of July to help trim wait lists.- Advertisement -“For this time, we were unable to find a locum general surgeon,” said Jonathon Dyck, communications officer for Northern Health.“However, we do have other types of surgery coming in, or people in the community who are locals and we’re expanding their time in the operating room that’s available.”In particular, Dyck says the hospital will have an ophthalmologist and orthopedic surgeon to reduce wait lists in those areas.Advertisementlast_img read more

Continue reading


How the Girl Evolved Fear of Spiders

first_imgToday’s Evolutionary Just-So Story is brought to you by New Scientist: “Girls Are Primed to Fear Spiders.”  Once upon a time, while cavemen were out hunting and gathering, the women back home had to learn to avoid dangerous animals.  David Rakison of Carnegie Mellon University put this all into evolutionary terms for the rest of us: He attributes the difference to behavioural differences between men and women among our hunter-gatherer ancestors.  An aversion to spiders may help women avoid dangerous animals, but in men evolution seems to have favoured more risk-taking behaviour for successful hunting.    It makes evolutionary sense to acquire spider fear at a certain age, rather than to be born with it, he adds.  “There is little reason for an infant to fear an object unless it can respond to it, for example by crawling away,” he says.Rakison did not explain how a genetic mutation became fixed in the female of the species but was not expressed in the male.  Nor did New Scientist object to the ostensibly Lamarckian explanation.  Or was there some reasoned conspiracy that early men for millions of years all decided to mate with only the females who showed fear of spiders?  That wouldn’t make “evolutionary sense.”  Nevertheless, the article continued, psychiatric help can assist those women who have trouble with their evolutionary arachnophobia.Remember the T-shirts labeled “Stupid” and “I’m with Stupid”?  One wonders who is more stupid; the accused idiot, or the idiot who keeps hanging out with him.  Rakison just told an incredibly stupid story, but New Scientist played “I’m With Stupid” and didn’t say a word about it.  They even heard him mention “evolutionary sense” without pointing out the oxymoron.  By playing along as if Stupid said nothing stupid, New Scientist wins Stupider Evolution Quote of the Week.(Visited 28 times, 1 visits today)FacebookTwitterPinterestSave分享0last_img read more

Continue reading


Hot Dog! You Can Now Make AR Lenses for Snapchat in Lens Studio

first_imgSnapchat’s parent company Snap, Inc. just announced that you can now create your own Augmented Reality Lenses for SnapChat.Top image via Snap Inc. Snap Inc just announced Lens Studio, a new augmented reality tool for creating Snapchat AR characters.Lens Studio is a free desktop app for Mac and Windows users. It uses a series of guides to help creators and developers build original characters in either 2D or 3D.After creating a Lens, users will get an original Snapcode to share with friends or customers. The Snapcode will allow users to unlock your Lens for 24 hours.This tool comes after the highly successful Geofilters campaign, which let users create filters for cities, businesses, events, and more.Brands will likely be the ones most excited about the new tools, and Engadget has previoulsy said the following:Snap is opening up its 3D World Lenses to advertisers. So far, it has partnered with Warner Bros. and Bud Light to create Lenses featuring the Blade Runner “Spinner” car and a Bud Light vendor.Snapchat introduced the ability to add 3D objects into an image in April, and 3D Bitmoji followed earlier this month. Today’s announcement brings these AR capabilities to advertisers who can offer them nationally, targeted by age, gender or interest or via a swipe-up attachment to a regular ad. And with users snapping over three billion times a day, snap-based advertisements stand to be seen quite a lot. —EngadgetSnap has already uploaded a series of tutorials to their Lens Studio YouTube channel. You can get started by downloading the Lens Studio app for Windows or Mac and testing out any of the following tutorials.Make an Animated Object Lens for SnapchatMake a Look Around Template Lens for SnapchatWindow Template Lens for SnapchatYou can watch all of the tutorials on the Lens Studio YouTube page.last_img read more

Continue reading


21 days agoNorwich City boss Farke: I’m at the right place

first_imgNorwich City boss Farke: I’m at the right placeby Freddie Taylor21 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveDaniel Farke says he feels like he is the “right place” at Norwich City. The German will rack up 100 league matches in charge of the Canaries this weekend when his side face Aston Villa at Carrow Road.”I feel that I’m totally in the right place. I enjoy my life here and I like the challenge to create something special, and we are creating something special at the moment,” he said.”I feel really honoured and blessed and look forward to be allowed to work in this responsible role for such a long time. You can’t take it for granted but it would be a great honour to be here even longer.”Then hopefully one day we can look back in this spirit and I would be happy if the people can say, ‘Okay, he’s done alright and we’ll take this’.”To be honest, I don’t look back too much. It was mentioned to me in the beginning of the week so you have to be unbelievably thankful to the key people in our club – to our owners Delia and Michael, to Stuart (Webber) and to our board but also to our supporters to trust me and allow me to help the yellow shirts to succeed.”I am humble and just thankful that I’m allowed to plan this extraordinary role for this amazing club and it’s a great privilege.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Continue reading


8 days agoBarcelona midfielder Ivan Rakitic rules out Man Utd move

first_imgBarcelona midfielder Ivan Rakitic rules out Man Utd moveby Paul Vegas8 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveBarcelona midfielder Ivan Rakitic has ruled out a move to Manchester United.The Daily Mail says United’s pursuit of the Croatian has hit a wall, with his family not keen on moving to Manchester.The 31-year-old star is hopeful of staying at the Nou Camp but if his situation doesn’t change and he is forced out, Rakitic and his family would prefer a move to Paris, Milan or a location with warmer climes than Manchester.United enquired about Rakitic in December and January and the clubs maintained dialogue but that tailed off in March.Barcelona are desperate to sell a few players to free up some money so sounded out United again but Rakitic’s family have made it clear they don’t want to move to Manchester. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Continue reading


Video: Auburn Offensive Line Coach J.B. Grimes At 1st Practice Days After Cancer Surgery

first_imgAuburn offensive line coach J.B. Grimes at practice days after cancer surgery.YouTube/Phillip MarshallOffensive line coaches are known to be tough, but Auburn’s J.B. Grimes is taking things to the next level. Grimes had surgery to remove a cancerous spot on his tongue last week, and was present today as the Tigers held their first practice of the season. AL.com‘s Brandon Marcello has more:The veteran assistant coach underwent surgery to remove a cancerous spot on his tongue last week, according to the school’s official website. His lymph nodes were also removed as a precaution.…Grimes didn’t slow down much during the first 20 minutes of practice open to reporters. He could be seen giving individual instruction and leading offensive line drills at the indoor facility. “I will not miss practice,” Grimes told AuburnTigers.com Tuesday. “I’m strong. I’ll recover.” Here’s video of Grimes at practice today: We’re very happy to hear that everything went well, and wish Grimes a quick recovery.[AL.com]last_img read more

Continue reading


Security Forces Will Operate Professionally – Major General Meade

first_imgStory Highlights Major General Meade was speaking at a press conference on Sunday (March 18) at Jamaica House at which Prime Minister, the Most Hon. Andrew Holness, declared a State of Public Emergency now in effect in the St. Catherine North Police Division. Chief of Defence Staff, Major General Rocky Meade, has given the assurance that members of the joint security forces undertaking enhanced security measures in the St. Catherine North Police Division, will carry out their duties professionally and with integrity. “We want to assure citizens that both the Jamaica Defence Force (JDF) and Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) have been properly trained and oriented to give due regard to the human rights of all persons. Our exemplary record in the other areas in which enhanced security powers have been declared is positive proof that we do intend to continue maintaining the human rights of our citizens,” he said. Chief of Defence Staff, Major General Rocky Meade, has given the assurance that members of the joint security forces undertaking enhanced security measures in the St. Catherine North Police Division, will carry out their duties professionally and with integrity.“We want to assure citizens that both the Jamaica Defence Force (JDF) and Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) have been properly trained and oriented to give due regard to the human rights of all persons. Our exemplary record in the other areas in which enhanced security powers have been declared is positive proof that we do intend to continue maintaining the human rights of our citizens,” he said.Major General Meade was speaking at a press conference on Sunday (March 18) at Jamaica House at which Prime Minister, the Most Hon. Andrew Holness, declared a State of Public Emergency now in effect in the St. Catherine North Police Division.A joint JCF/ JDF team was deployed to the area on Sunday to undertake enhanced security measures for an initial 14 days, in accordance with the Emergency Powers Act.Meanwhile, Major General Meade is encouraging residents in the targeted communities to cooperate with the security forces in ensuring that law, order and public safety are maintained.“As we pledge to carry out our operations with professionalism and respect, we are seeking the cooperation of the citizens to use the very popular JDF tip line 837-8888 to supply us with information about criminals and criminal activity,” he said.The JDF Chief emphasized that this is pivotal to the joint forces’ intelligence and data gathering activities.“We will be doing our part by publishing photos, bulletins, social media images and data about gang members and criminals to help persons identify these individuals and report them. The hotline is manned on a 24-hour basis and offers convenience and confidentiality and we anticipate that its success in St. James will be replicated in St. Catherine,” he said.Major General Meade also urged residents to acquaint themselves with the regulations and requirements governing the State of Public Emergency in order to easily and conveniently transit the area as they go about their lawful business.The decision to declare the State of Public Emergency in the St. Catherine North Police Division has become necessary in light of an escalation in crime and violence, particularly murders.A total of 49 murders have been recorded in that region since the start of the year, due mainly to gang activity.last_img read more

Continue reading