Japan’s Okinawa declares state of emergency as virus cases soar

first_imgThere are approximately 20,000 US Marines in Okinawa, along with thousands more troops from other US military services.Their presence on the island is a longstanding sore spot, with many in the region arguing they bear a disproportionate share of the burden of hosting American forces.Okinawa’s move comes as Tokyo called for restaurants, bars and karaoke parlors to shut at 10 p.m. from Aug. 3 until the end of the month after the number of daily cases hit a new record.Tokyo Governor Yuriko Koike said the capital would have to issue a state of emergency if cases continued to rise.Japan has so far escaped the worst of the epidemic, with around 35,200 infections and just over 1,000 deaths since the first case was detected in January.The number of cases has been on the rise since the central government lifted a nationwide state of emergency in May.Topics : The measures are non-compulsory and without the aggressive enforcement measures seen in Europe, but similar requests from authorities have been widely respected in Japan.Okinawa reported 71 new coronavirus cases Friday, bringing its total to 395.US forces account for 248 of those cases, according to the local government, which has created tensions with local officials, including the governor who has said he was “shocked” by the high numbers.Read also: Ghibli Park construction starts in Japan for 2022 partial opening Japan’s Okinawa region has declared a state of emergency and asked people to stay home for two weeks as the popular tourist destination sees an “explosive spread” of coronavirus cases.Governor Denny Tamaki on Friday asked residents to avoid non-essential outings following a record new daily addition to the southern island’s total cases, the majority of which have been detected among US forces based there.”We’re seeing an explosive spread of infections. We declare a state of emergency” through August 15, Tamaki told reporters, adding hospitals were being overwhelmed by the surge.last_img read more

Continue reading


Indonesian Consulate in Dubai to assist repatriation of 12 seafarers

first_imgThe Indonesian Consulate in Dubai has urged the Northern Star Shipping Agency to immediately repatriate 12 Indonesian seafarers currently “trapped” in the United Arab Emirates.The seafarers were working on the Oasis V ship, which has been docked at Hamriyah Port in the city of Sharjah since June this year. Repatriation efforts were reportedly hampered by the pandemic.”There were [also] internal issues between the agency, workers and the company that prevented repatriation,” the consulate said in a statement on Sunday. Read also: COVID-19: Govt repatriates 330 Indonesians from India, more to come homeA protection team from the Indonesian Consulate in Dubai mediated between the workers and the employment agency. They agreed to urge the company to repatriate the workers as soon as possible.The Consulate General in Dubai vowed to closely coordinate with the Indonesian Embassy in Abu Dhabi to speed up the administrative matters required by the agency for repatriation. “The Consulate and the Embassy will assist to resolve the case and ensuring [the workers’] rights are fulfilled,” the statement read. (vny)Topics :last_img read more

Continue reading


Chelsea wage bill lower than United

first_img The London club’s annual accounts have been lodged at Companies House and reveal that Chelsea’s wage bill for the 2013/14 season was £190.5million, up eight per cent from £176m. United are currently the biggest payers in English football, shelling out a total £214.8m on salaries while City’s wage bill dropped last season to £205m. Press Association Arsenal are next in the pay league with a total wage bill of £166.4m while the scale of Southampton’s success on the pitch is illustrated by the fact that their wage bill was a fraction of their rivals – the latest figures available for 2012/13 show the Saints, currently third in the Premier League, paid out just £47.1m in salaries. Chelsea’s accounts confirm the club’s announcement in November that they made a £18.4m profit last season – but shows this was helped by a £65m profit in player trading thanks to the sales of Juan Mata to United, David Luiz to Paris St Germain and Kevin de Bruyne to Wolfsburg. It allowed the club to overturn a £49.4m loss on the season before and should make them assured to comply with UEFA’s financial fair play rules. Chelsea’s accounts show broadcasting income increased by £34m to £139m, due to the new Premier League television deal plus the benefits of being Champions League semi-finalists, while commercial income also showed a big rise, up £29m to £108m. Turnover overall was up £64m to £319.8m. The accounts say five new players brought in by Jose Mourinho since June 30 2014 – including Diego Costa and Filipe Luis – cost £62m with £19.6m coming in for players who were sold. center_img Chelsea may be top of the Premier League but their wage bill is still some way below their two Manchester rivals, according to latest figures.last_img read more

Continue reading


Plenty of Tipp natives in All-Ireland Club final

first_imgMoyne-Templetouhy’s Tom Bergin is manager of the London outfit for the last nine years and this is their first time in the All-Ireland final since the club was formed in 1997, although they did win a county title in 2010. The team includes players from Burgess, Moyne-Templetouhy, Killenaule and Loughmore-Castleiney.And Bergin is hoping for some Tipp support in the final on Sunday week.  He said: “Lads’ families will go up and maybe some will go up out of curiosity, but sure hopefully we’ll have the bit of support anyway.”Kilburn Gaels take on O’Donovan Rossa in Croke Park on February 15th, with throw-in scheduled for quarter to four.last_img read more

Continue reading


Munster make four changes for Ospreys game

first_imgStephen Archer comes in to join Dave Kilcoyne and Niall Scannell in the front row while Darren O’Shea and Robin Copeland form a new partnership in the second row. The back row is unaltered with captain Peter O’Mahony,  Tipperary’s Tommy O’Donnell and Jack O’Donoghue all remaining in situ.The final change is in the half backs where Tyler Bleyendaal returns to partner Duncan Williams.last_img

Continue reading


AITEO Cup: Tornadoes Join Holders FC IfeanyiUbah, Sunshine In Semis

first_imgNiger Tornadoes are through to the last four of this year’s Aiteo Cup after they eliminated Nigerian Professional Football League (NPFL) champions Plateau United 4-2 on aggregate in the quarter-final.Both sides played out a 2-2 draw in their second leg clash in Jos after Niger Tornadoes had won the home leg 2-0 on Wednesday.Niger Tornadoes join fellow top flight sides Sunshine Stars and defending champions FC IfeanyiUbah in the semifinal.Ajibola Otegbeye netted a brace as Sunshine Stars defeated Osun United 3-1 in their second leg clash to overturn a 1-0 first leg deficit. Sikiru Alimi also scored for Sunshine Stars while Osun United got their consolation through Tosin Omoyele. FC IfeanyiUbah defeated hosts ABS FC of Ilorin 1-0 for a 4-0 aggregate win.In the last quarter-final tie, 2015 champions Akwa United thrashed Katsina United feeders 7-0 in their first leg clash on Sunday to all but qualify for the last four area of the second leg in Katsina. Former Sharks and Enyimba forward Christian Pyagbara netted 4 goals.Aiteo Cup Quarter-final:2nd leg:ABS FC 0-1 FC IfeanyiUbah (FC IfeanyiUbah win 4-0 on aggregate)Sunshine Stars 3-1 Osun United (Sunshine Stars win 3-2 on aggregate)Plateau United 2-2 Niger Tornadoes (Niger Tornadoes win 4-2 on aggregate)1st leg:Akwa United 7-0 Katsina United Feeders.RelatedAiteo Cup Quarterfinal Round-Up: Plateau United, Sunshine Stars Suffer Surprise DefeatsSeptember 21, 2017In “Nigeria”2017 AITEO Cup: Holders Booted Out Despite Tornadoes WinOctober 6, 2017In “Nigeria”AITEO Cup Men’s Semis: Tornadoes, Sunshine Secure 1st Leg AdvantageSeptember 30, 2017In “Nigeria”last_img read more

Continue reading


Mercy Tagoe returns as head coach of Black Queens

first_imgThe Ghana Football Association has appointed Madam Mercy Efua Tagoe-Quarcoo as head coach of the senior national female team, the Black Queens.Madam Tagoe will be assisted by Charles Anokye Frimpong with Nana Sinasen as the Physical trainer.Other members of the technical team are Raymond Fenny – Goalkeepers trainer, Dr. Caryn Agyeman Prempeh –  Team Doctor, Margaret Foli – Physiotherapist, Anita Wiredu Minta – Welfare manager, Patience Nana A.  Quarshie and Kusi Thomas – Equipment Managers.Meanwhile, Madam Habiba Attah will chair the Black Queens Management Committee with Mr. Kingsley Osei Bonsu as her vice-chairman.Other members of the Committee are Naa Odofoley Nortey, Nana Fosu Gyeabour, and Ama Brobbey Williams.Below is the full list of technical team members and Management Committee members for the Black Queens:TECHNICAL TEAMMercy Efua Tagoe-Quarcoo               –          Head CoachCharles Anokye Frimpong                  –          Assistant CoachNana Sinasen                                      –          Assistant (Physical Trainer)Raymond Fenny                                  –          Goalkeepers CoachDr. Caryn Agyeman Prempeh            –          Team DoctorMargaret Foli                                      –          PhysiotherapistAnita Wiredu Minta                           –          Welfare ManagerPatience Nana A. Quarshie                –          Equipment ManagerKusi Thomas                                       –          Equipment Manager Source: www.ghanafa.org MANAGEMENT COMMITTEEHabiba Attah                                       –          ChairpersonKingsley O. Bonsu                              –          Vice ChairmanNaa Odofoley Nortey                          –          MemberNana Fosu Gyeabour                          –          MemberAma Brobbey Williams                       –          Memberlast_img read more

Continue reading


Alexander-Arnold wins PL Young Player of the season award

first_imgTrent Alexander-Arnold has won the 2019/20 TAG Heuer Young Player of the Season award.The 21-year-old is the first player to claim the inaugural prize, thanks to the combined votes of a panel of experts and the public.To be eligible for the prize, players had to be 23 or under at the start of the 2019/20 season.Alexander-Arnold finished second to Kevin De Bruyne in the race for the Playmaker award with 13 assists, while also scoring four goals en route to Liverpool’s first top-flight title in 30 years.He also earned 12 clean sheets as he featured in all 38 matches and helped the Reds produce the best defensive record last season. The right-back topped an eight-player shortlist, becoming the third 2019/20 season awards winner after Son Heung-min earned the Budweiser Goal of the Season and Liverpool team-mate Curtis Jones was named Premier League 2 Player of the Season.last_img read more

Continue reading


Ohio State improves top-ranked recruiting class with five-star TreVeyon Henderson

first_img“To my mother, my family, my friends, my coaches and teammates, I wouldn’t be here without you. You’re the reason I’m running now; running for a chance to give back for all you’ve given for me.”Henderson committed to the Buckeyes without visiting campus, according to 247Sports. He was planning to attend the Buckeyes’ spring game but it was canceled because of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.”I may not know everything about where I’m going, but I know it is a place I’ll be given everything I need so that one day I can run back home and make a difference for those who need it,” he said. “I’m a Buckeye now, and I’m still ready to run.” Thank you God.. #COMMITTED pic.twitter.com/OU8WhMbRnU— TreVeyon Henderson (@TreveyonH15) March 27, 2020The 5-11, 195-pound junior out of Hopewell, Va., chose the Buckeyes over the likes of Virginia Tech, Virginia, Michigan and Oklahoma. He rushed for 2,424 yards and 45 touchdowns last season while leading his team to an undefeated record and a state championship.MORE: SN’s updated preseason top 25 for 2020Henderson is the third five-star recruit and 15th recruit overall for Ohio State, which has a substantial lead over Clemson for the best 2021 class.”Where I’m from, a lot of people don’t get to leave,” Henderson said in a video he posted on Twitter. “Walking away is hard to do, so I ran. I ran from trouble. Every challenge I saw, I ran through. The next challenge is one I’m not running from, it’s a challenge I’m running to. The top-rated running back in 247Sports’ Class of 2021 is heading to Columbus. TreVeyon Henderson announced Friday on Twitter his commitment to Ohio State, adding to the No.1 recruiting class for next year. last_img read more

Continue reading